Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Hike

the view


Thanks to Amanda's comment, I felt inspired to have fun.  I was at a loss to do something on my budget, and then it came to me. I went on one of my favorite hikes: Crowder's Mountain.  It's about six miles, nearby, and involves a mountain.  It usually takes about 2 hours to do it, but today was hot... even in the shade.  And, it was crowded because it was the weekend. So, those are my excuses to why it took over three hours.  I enjoyed myself-- taking breaks at scenic stops that I usually rush past, drinking water.  I was reminded why we sweat: the breeze felt so nice!

Rock Top Trail
Then, I came home and had a big, fat nap after a big, fat lunch!  I read some about ancient Rome.  I chatted with one of my old roommates and found out that it's National Dance Day.  (Happy National Dance Day to you!)  I ate watermelon for dinner!  I got an email from a college friend!  I ate three desserts!  Boom.

It's a climb!
Now, I've officially gotten sucked into the Olympics.  Gymnastics, swimming, beach volleyball.  I almost cried with the story about John Orozco, the gymnast from the Bronx.  I'm even enjoying Ryan Lochte's cockiness; it's cute since it's earned.

But, what's so compelling is the beauty and happiness of a win... no matter what nation.  I'm no fan of China-- I was not impressed with them bullying Taiwan, and the Olympic Committee cowling to the Chinese.  But, I caught myself cheering for some Chinese athletes.  It's like a friend said, "You can't be mean to a child because of something his parents did."  The same goes with the athletes.





No comments: