Sunday, July 15, 2012

WAR and Peace: Update #1

I was a bit circumspect about the greatness of the novel when I started.  A lot of the plot seems petty.  Teenagers being love, political power struggles, jilted lovers, blah, blah, blah.  But, then, two things.

1. War scenes.  Powerful stuff.  Maybe it's just me, but I love military history.  Thucydides' Peloponnesian Wars has to be one of my favorite books ever.  It's brilliant and insightful.  Any history, rendered well, has the power to dissect and display the devices and desires of the heart.  I think military history is brilliant at depicting pride and greed writ large.  So many tactical mistakes are made because of these two sins.  Also, military history is brilliant at illustrating how powerless we are to author our own stories.  It's uncanny how often inclement weather and terrain play into the success of a battle-- things the Generals have no control over-- not that officers won't take credit for it.  Also, the value of loyalty and faith plays a large role in military history.

2.  Tolstoy's asides are magic.  My initial complaint about the book is its pettiness, but most of life is petty. Precise yet brilliant. Universal.  He nails people so aptly.  You know his characters.  His remarks make Oscar Wilde seem kind of catty.  Let's just say, I'm glad I'm not a character in his book; I'd be embarrassed on how he'd sum me up.  Although I don't think his comment would make me angry, I think I'd feel more naked and sad.

No comments: