Wednesday, September 26, 2012

pet monkey learns new tricks: week 3 of new job

This week I've started to become frustrated with myself and training.  It all feels so cumbersome and takes me forever and ever.  I forget whether to key lnsc, lnai, or lnhi before I can key lnlc.  It reminds of Greek 1 but with a live audience.

There are all these DOS commands and banking lingo to digest and use.  I've felt like stating more than once, "I'm not retarded, I'm confused."  The trainer that came from headquarters is ridiculous and contributes .  Right before he gave us a break, he said, "It'll be a quick ten-minute break. You can use the bathroom, stretch your legs, get some water."  I thanked him for the pointers.  And I couldn't help myself when he said, "A person's geological location doesn't matter."  I asked, "Do you mean geographical?"

But, my real beef with trainer guy can be summed up with this exchange.  I'd just finished a "fake call" with a "woman" who had nonsufficient funds (that's what they call it-- not "insufficient") in her account.  I concluded the phone call with "Have a great day."  Just after I said it, I realized I'd probably be pissed if someone said that to me.  So I asked, "Am I being a smart ass to say 'Have a great day' when it's pretty obvious the woman isn't?"  He said, "It was professional and that I had no right to judge the members."  I realized we definitely have a communication disconnect.

And, I feel a little bullied by two of the girls.  However, that's one of the nice things about being 10 years older.  I feel mostly amused and slightly irritated about their rudeness.  But, I do have my kindred spirit.  He eats the free lunches too.  And, I knew we'd get along when he nodded off during the post lunch training.  Plus, he's having car trouble.  And, he doesn't intuit the 8 new programs we have to navigate.  He even gets aggravated.

At one break in which I hadn't received instructions on how to properly use it, I was watching some of the tax class guys mill about outside our room.  They were wearing maroon, royal blue, and charcoal gray shirts with dorky ties.  I told my ks, "I know you're too shy to ask me opinion on men's fashion, so, I'll tell you.  I hate dark shirts.  They remind me of Miami Vice and the mafia.  Not that I'd think less of you if you wore one."

He responded, "What do you have against the mafia?"

I told him, "I prefer my crime disorganized."