Thursday, November 8, 2012

commonplacing for this week

"It is important to note that 'the valley of the shadow of death' is as much God's right path for us as the 'green pastures' which lie beside 'quiet waters.'"
James M. Boice

“Such is the depth of the Christian Scriptures that even if I were attempting to study them and nothing else from early boyhood to decrepit old age, with the utmost leisure, the most unwearied zeal, and talents greater than I have, I would still daily be making progress in discovering their treasures.”
St. Augustine


"CHALLENGE:
NAME THE MOST COUNTER-CULTURAL TEXT IN THE BIBLE

My vote:
"What do you have that you did not receive?" (meaning: nothing) (1 Corinthians 4:7)"

Miroslav Volf

"... it only takes about 90 hours to read through the Bible. This means that if we replace our average daily television watching, which Nielsen reports is 4 hours and 39 minutes, with Bible reading, we could read the entire Bible in less than 3 weeks."
Bethany Jenkins

The Bible is on the brain, especially since I said that Thomas walked on water in a class... that I was teaching. I faked a few people out with that one.  I should have said "one of the twelve" or the "dude".

Then, there's always poetry: Looking, Walking, Being

No comments: