Tuesday, November 20, 2012

notes on thank you


People don’t write thank notes; they write thank you notes.  Similarly, the meaning of thanksgiving isn’t for what you’re thankful but to whom you give thanks. 

As Americans our gratitude list is long.  Perhaps, it’s one of the longest lists in history. Hot showers and well-stocked grocery stores are amazing.

Feeling gratitude is mood enhancing and good psychology although it isn’t the purpose of thanksgiving. Gifts, which most impacted my life, never filled me with gratitude.  Braces, tenth grade, and rowing practice come to mind.  These three things improved me, but I rarely felt thankful when I couldn’t chew gum or studied Modern World History or woke up at 4:45am.  I never thanked God for the opportunity to have a corrected overbite or read primary texts or participate in Title IX athletics.

It’s about to whom you give thanks.  I fall into an uncomfortable mishmash of self-congratulation and sense of entitlement when I’m not focused on God as the giver of things good. My life starts being all about me.  The value of my job, my friends, and my hobbies decreases as each becomes an obstacle to my self-actualization.

Appreciating God as the cause of all my thanks grounds me.  It’s about God.  Of course, this statement begs the question of situations of unemployment, cancer, infertility, natural disasters, and all other struggles.  This essay is far too simple to address this theological complexity. However, I thank God for his goodness and power as mysterious and beyond my ability to understand as they are.  Thanking and praising God reorient me to reality—the reality that’s much bigger and far beyond me. Thank God.

No comments: