Thursday, January 24, 2013

Winter Cooking by Mad Chef, Jr.




I'm finding it really tricky to eat vegetables right now.  Salads aren't doing it for me: the produce section is incredibly expensive and sad.  Plus, I'm craving comfort food... but I still need to fit into my clothes.  So, I'm crock-potting it.

I'm too busy during my work week to cook, so I cook vats of vittles.  I try to prepare at least two different meals because it becomes tedious to eat the same thing over and over and over again.  I can fake myself out when I alternate chili and Moroccan Stew.  I freeze some of it in individual containers so that I can just grab something on the way to work or when I come home hungry.  It gives me good reason to stay away from fast food.  It can also be inexpensive.  I'm becoming a bigger fan of vegetarian because of the money factor.

Cooking multiple things at once also consolidates cleaning time.  You clean up once.    And, I'm leaving out that I cook steel cut oatmeal and put into a big tupperware and scoop it out in the morning and heat it in the microwave with a splash of water.  Because one can only consume so many protein shakes. I'm also cutting up carrot so I have something crunchy to snack on that isn't chips or other forms of simple carbs.  Bananas, oranges, carrots, shredded cabbage and onions are about the only thing I'm buying in the produce department right now.  Because everything else is a very sad expensive.

Pinterest is awesome for finding recipes.  My sister contends that Pinterest is a dumbed down version of Digg for women.  She's probably right-- I don't come away from Pinterest intellectually stimulated, but I do come away psyched to cook.  My favorite recipe websites are skinnytaste and forksoverknives and friends' recipe boards. Here are the recipes I've most enjoyed because I successfully made them, they're relatively inexpensive, and they store well.

Asian Noodle Salad by Eclectic Chef
Asian Noodle Salad: I made this after buying some Asian Noodle Salad at Trader Joe's for lunch.  I thought, "I could make this healthier, cheaper and better than this."  And, I was right.  Notes: I can't find good red cabbage right now. Splurge on the cilantro-- it's worth it.  I use whole wheat spaghetti. I use edamame instead of peas.
Skinny Taste's Spinach Lasagna Rolls

Spinach Lasagna Rolls: These are really yummy and easy.  They look kind of fancy too. These are perfect portion control.  Next time I make them, I'm going to add diced up carrots and more spinach.  I used a spicy hot spaghetti sauce-- and it was really nice.

Forks Over Knives' Chickpea Ratatouille
Oven Baked Chickpea Ratatouille: This stuff is fantastic served over brown rice.  This dish was my biggest surprise.

Moroccan Lentil Soup
Moroccan Lentil Soup: Easy to make.  Fun spices.

Please share your favorite easy recipes!


No comments: