Tuesday, January 27, 2009

25 Things: an exercise in self-absorption

1. I dig poetry and classical music.
2. Where the Wild Things Are profoundly impacted my intellectual, spiritual and emotional life.
3. I took 5.5 years of ballet to no avail.
4. I lettered in running, swimming and rowing. They’re what I like to call cat sports.
5. I took piano lessons in 2-3rd grades and played the Horn in 7-10th grades.
6. Bach is my favorite composer. His music settles me.
7. My favorite toy as a kid was a nameless white mouse who squeaked when you squeezed it. (yes, it was a cat toy).
8. I also owned an aquamarine elephant stuffed animal that played "It's a Small World After All" when wound up. This is the root of my political leanings.
9. I had a crush on Holden Caulfield in 10th grade, and I crushed on Robert Sean Leonard and Thomas Jefferson in 11th grade. No guy has yet to live up to this trio.
10. I like to think I haven’t read my favorite book yet.
11. Vancouver is my favorite city. I’d even switch to British English and spell it “favourite” if it’d help me get the papers to move.
12. I love to run, read and write. Furthermore, I’ve discovered there’s no correlation between what you love to do and what you’re good at.
13. I excel at awkwardness.
14. I need novelty but thrive on routine. I’m going to rock my 70s and 80s.
15. When I consider God’s goodness, I see the most evidence in my friends and family. Quality.
16. If I were independently wealthy, I would be a perpetual student and travel in the summers.
17. I’m a whiner, but I like to think my wit makes up for it.
18. I ate seven homemade brownies today.
19. ACDC’s “Shook Me” makes every running mix I burn.
20. I’d rather run five miles than do 5 crunches and pushups.
21. I look like my maternal grandfather.
22. I rarely remember my sleeping dreams.
23. I’m fond of hyperbole and my own sense of humor.
24. At this point, I’m ambivalent about teaching, or maybe I’m ambivalent about teaching 7th graders.
25. I eat just about everything, esp. homemade brownies. I draw the line at organs.

No comments: