Friday, January 16, 2009

scales

I'm a sicky poo today, but that didn't slow me down. I taught was a total crank by the last period. I made all my kids go outside even the ones with flipflops. They say, "Ms. M, it's cold." I say, "Dress appropriately." Oh, there's a reason I'm their favorite. Seriously, I consider going out in all kinds of weather part of the Social Studies curriculum.

I promised myself that I'd leave by 3:45; so, when I left at 4:50, I was perplexed by what I got accomplished. Two out of twelve things on my to-do list. But, I got interesting stuff done that hadn't even made the list. I bought three books off half.com. "Creating Active Thinkers", "Daily Geography Practice" (isn't that a great title?), and "50 Devotions" by Koyama. And, some other stuff.

But, I did go to the Activate G County shindig at the mall. The best part of the whole experience was the woman who weighed me telling me, "You don't look that heavy!" Um, thanks. So, that was the first scale.

The second scale was of the musical variety. I went with a friend to the Symphony. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The music was "robust" as the lady next to me described it. It was so much fun, and I felt incredibly young in that crowd. I thought about what a unique role harpists and basoonists play in a culture such as ours. They're my people in a sense. Excitement: went the wrong way down a one-way street but quickly exited once I realized it. Chatted with a violist as we walked to the concert. Ate free cookies at the end. I was incredibly bubbly all evening: it must have been the generic dayquil. I could have scaled a mountain on that stuff.

No comments: