Friday, January 9, 2009

breakin' my heart

I signed up with a fellow teacher for a 5-concerts ticket package to the Symphony. She's a Beethoven fan, and I'm a Bach fan. There were more Beethoven concerts to choose from; he's all about drama... and people dig drama. Some people find Bach a bit tedious and listening to him analgous to watching paint dry. Mathematicians study his work. It's impossible to weary of Bach; I can listen to his partitas and sonatas ad nauseum. I listen to the partitas when I'm having a hard time praying; they feel like a soul praying. His Mass in B Minor (I love, love, love the Sanctus) and Passions make Lent. I've joked more than once that Bach is my favorite theologian. He had such tedious, frustrating life. Petty people always getting him down, but he managed to produce magnificent piece after brilliant piece.

Well, Mass in B Minor was the selling point for the entire series for me. (I'm sure I'll enjoy the Moonlight Sonata and other little ditties yada, yada, yada. But, I really miss the Bach choir in Vancouver.) Then, damn, if I don't get a call that they've cancelled the Mass in B Minor concert and they will let me replace the ticket with another concert. Dude, I don't want another concert. This is neither my first or last disappointment, but, geez. Throw me a bone. Maybe I'll splurge on a Opera ticket.

No comments: